About the museum

Archaeological Museum in Gdańsk (short: MAG) has been operating as an independent institution since January 1, 1962Earlier, from 1953, there was an archaeological department in the former Pomeranian Museum in Gdańsk (in 1958 this department was transformed into the Archaeological Department).

The first organizer and long-term director of the museum (until 1983) was Leon Jan Łuka. Then the directors were: Marian Kwapiński (1983–1991) and Henryk Paner (1991–2014). Currently, this function is performed by Ewa Trawicka (since 2015).

In 2018, MAG honored its first director by publishing the book: "Leon Jan Łuka" [in:] "Archive of Remembrance of Pomeranian Archeology", issue 1, ed. K. Godon, Archaeological Museum in Gdańsk, Gdańsk 2018, pp. 240 , ISBN 978-83-85824-89-3.

MAG collects objects documenting the prehistory of northern Poland and the material culture of the inhabitants of Gdańsk and Gdańsk Pomerania, from the early Middle Ages to modern times. In addition, the museum's collection includes amber and amber products (from prehistoric to modern), as well as exhibits representing the material culture of the past and present inhabitants of Sudan (MAG employees have been participating in archaeological expeditions in Africa for many years).

Most of the collections come from the own archaeological research conducted by MAG since 1954. The largest collection consists of monuments from sites documenting the cultural identity of the region, for example: Rzucewo, Pomeranian, Wielbark and Oksywie cultures. Many valuable artifacts were found as a result of research on East Pomeranian tribal-era castles and the oldest urban centers, especially: Gdańsk, Gniew, Tczew, Starogard Gdański and Skarszewy.

The most interesting finds include: a group of relics of the Rzucewo culture from the Neolithic era, a collection of face urns from the early Iron Age (the symbolic representation of the urn appears in the MAG logo), artistic craftsmanship from the period of Roman influences and the migrations of peoples from the region of Pruszcz Gdański, a collection of amber products dated from from the Neolithic to the late Middle Ages, monuments from the city of Gdańsk (10th-13th century) and Gdańsk (14th-19th century) and a unique collection of monuments from the Granary Island.

The main seat of the museum is located in the Naturalists' House at 25/26 Mariacka Street in Gdańsk, including the St. Mary's Gate and the neighboring tenement houses at Dziana Street and Długie Pobrzeże.

Branches

Ta strona korzysta z plików cookies w celu świadczenia usług na najwyższym poziomie. Dalsze korzystanie ze strony oznacza, że zgadzasz się na ich użycie.